Saturday 13 April 2013

My 2 cents

As everyone is aware, we have lost the penny in terms of cash payment.  This mean amounts are rounded to the nearest nickel and you pay cash based on that.  Of course if you pay with credit or debit you pay the actual amount, right down to the penny. Which brings me to my latest beef:

 I lost 2 cents.  Yes that is right yesterday I paid cash for lunch and paid an extra 2 cents. I should have pulled out my Visa card and paid with plastic, you see then I would have paid the actual amount, and saved my cash for a purchase which will round down and then I would have made 2 cents.  You see this could be a retirement plan, allowing me to what retire one day earlier? Perhaps I am over thinking this but the old saying says  "a penny saved is a penny earned". What will our children say "a nickel saved is a nickel earned?"  "A nickel for your thoughts?"

Imagine one day we will explain to our kids or grand kids all about the penny and they will look like us like we are from another planet. We have saved some pennies or the kids just as my mom has one dollar and two dollar bills saved for us.

Back when they announced the death of the penny I had read this obituary to a penny and thought it was entertaining.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/01/31/f-penny-obit.html

In the mean time I will try to take care of my pennies and my dollars will take care of themselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment