Saturday 21 September 2013

Plachinda -Updated

Dad called me after I had sent a picture of our pumpkins to him saying I should make Plachinda. I had no idea what it was... He said that his Grandma (my great grandma) used to make it all the time and his Mom made it a few times but not as much. 

So I went on a google mission to find a recipe for pumpkin plachinda (seriously what did we do before google?).  I successfully found a recipe. 

I knew the recipe should be close to what his grandma made as it had cream as the first ingredient. And enough flour to make a stiff dough. Sounds like something out of grandmas recipe book or lack of book!

So once i found a recipe we had to try it. verdict... Kids loved the plachinda, and I sent some out to the combine for Dad. I have not heard if it is right yet. I am sure it won't be like his grandmas and probably does not look as perfect but I think it turned out great for the first time. I will wait for the expert to let me know though.

We had a bit of extra dough so we also made a few apple ones. I think this may become a new fall tradition (when the pumpkins are ready for the eating).

http://www.tasty-german-recipe.com/german-plachinda-pumpkin-turnovers-recipe.html




Update: apparently they are very close to what Dad's grandma made, she put a bit more cinnamon in. Must have been okay as they seem to be disappearing quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment